Five dead after shooting at 21st birthday party in Florence, three wounded

Republished from Kentucky Lantern

image

Five people — four victims and the suspect — have died following a shooting that occurred in Florence early in the morning on Saturday, July 6. Three more people are in the hospital but are in stable condition, according to Florence Police, who are characterizing the incident as a mass shooting. 

Police officers were dispatched to a house on Ridgecrest Drive at around 2:50 a.m. Saturday. By the time the police arrived, the suspect had already driven away from the scene, a written police statement reads. Four victims were pronounced dead at the scene and three more were transported to UC Hospital, where they are currently in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery.

Florence Police Chief Jeff Mallery identified the four victims at a press conference Saturday afternoon: 20-year-old Shane Miller, 20-year-old Hayden Rybicki, 19-year-old Delaney Eary and 44-year-old Melissa Parrett. One of the victims was the home owner. 

“Our hearts and prayers go out to the families of the victims,” Mallery said at the press conference, visibly emotional.

LINK nky’s content sharing partner WCPO had crews on the scene and interviewed a neighbor, who said at around 2:15 a.m. after he left a party, he heard what he first thought were fireworks. At the press conference, Mallery added that police officers had heard gun shots upon their arrival at the house.

A 21st birthday party was being held for Parrett’s son at the time of the shooting, Mallery said.

Mallery said other partygoers told officers the shooter fled in a vehicle. Officers were able to track down the suspect and attempted to stop him near Farmview Drive and US-42, but the suspect fled again. A chase ensued. Finally, the suspect drove off the road into a ditch on Dale Heimbrock Way near Hicks Pike. The officers located the suspect with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gun shot wound. He was transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital, where he died. Authorities don’t believe Garvey was invited to the party, but he was known by other partygoers, Mallery said.

The suspect has since been identified as 21-year-old Chase Garvey, who was a convicted felon from a previous sex offense, but Mallery said they don’t believe that is connected to the shooting. Records from the courts and the Department of Corrections indicate that Garvey was on probation for a felony charge of unlawfully transacting with a minor in 2021. He was sentenced to five years in prison, but the sentence was suspended in favor of probation on the condition he didn’t interact with the victim, didn’t commit any more crimes, engage in psychological counseling and maintain employment. He was scheduled to come off of probation in 2027. 

Mallery said Garvey’s motive is still under investigation.

“We have never dealt with this before,” Mallery said. “I know it’s gone on throughout the nation, but this is the first time that we’ve had a mass shooting in Florence.”

The Florence Police Department is asking anyone who has any information related to this event to call them at (859)371-1234.

This is a developing story and LINK nky will report more on it as information becomes available. 

WCPO’s Sean DeLancey, Molly Schramm, Krizia Williams & Michael Coker contributed reporting to this story.

This story is republished from LINK nky.

Kentucky Lantern is part of States Newsroom, a network of news bureaus supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Kentucky Lantern maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Jamie Lucke for questions: info@kentuckylantern.com. Follow Kentucky Lantern on Facebook and Twitter. Kentucky Lantern stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.

Donate to Kentucky Lantern here.

https://kentuckylantern.com/2024/07/07/five-dead-after-shooting-at-21st-birthday-party-in-florence-three-wounded/